Commenda del Santo
2 extra singles possible on request.
100 hectare estate with orange groves, olive trees and archeological excavations against the magnificent backdrop of Mount Etna
The original building, now converted into a villa, was the only abbey of the knightly order of St James of the Sword in
Sicily. Only a knight from this order and from the most important aristocratic European families could hold the title of
Commander. In the XIX century the property became a stately home.
The property is made up of:
1. The fortified commandry built around a large courtyard, with 10 bedrooms, as well as living and dining rooms
2. A building between the main house and the pool with two more bedrooms
3. The chapel
4. The pool house with a summer kitchen to serve lunch by the pool
5. The spa with sauna, Turkish bath (steam), changing room and massage room
6. A remarkable 2 hectare garden with a breathtaking Italian garden planted with palm trees, cypress trees and an abundance of roses which keep blossoming all year round, a medicinal garden adjacent to the 18x9 m swimming pool, a pavilion of Indian inspiration preceded by a long canal built in the local stone, large lawns and beautiful vistas.
7. A separate wing, where the owner lives (completely separate from the main villa). On request the owner is happy to leave the property.
8. Orange and olive groves from which the estate produces marmelades, orange honey and olive oil
• Pool house with shower and changing facilities
• 2 outdoor showers
• Spa with Finnish sauna and Turkish steam bath in a separate building
• Breathtaking Italian garden with palm trees, cypress trees, fountains and water rills
• Medicinal herb garden adjacent to pool
• Two pavilions of Indian inspiration
• Large lawns and beautiful vistas
• Each bedroom is accessed from the courtyard
• The bedrooms are also connected. Please look at the floor plan for details
• Professional kitchen, also available for food demonstration for guest participation
• Wine cellar from which guests can choose some of the best local wines
• High quality C&C Italian linen sheets
• Air conditioning throughout the villa is included in the rent. The house also has central heating.
• Rooms and bathrooms have complete sets of linen, towels, hairdryer, shampoo, conditioner and shower gel.
• House laundry with washing machine, dryer
• Cots, cradles, high chairs and prams can be easily provided.
• Firewood supply for fireplaces
• Hi-Fi with CD and pen drive
• Satellite TV with DVD Player in one of the living rooms
• Private parking
• Swimming pool is available from April to October.
Staff | Service included
• Cook, assisted by staff, will provide 3 meals per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner and drinks or snacks and canapes as required). Traditional Sicilian and Mediterranean cuisine, made with local products. Enjoy orange blossom honey from the bee hives of Commenda del Santo, homemade jams, fruit, yogurt, ham, tomatoes and cheeses, including ricotta from local shepherds. Fresh herbs grown in the vegetable-garden, local seafood and meats are always present.
• Concierge services provided by Villa Manager for menu and excursion planning and reservations (boat hire, beaches, in-villa wellness and beauty treatments)
• Daily cleaning service in the morning (6 hours per day)
• Daily housekeeping
• A minimum of one waiter to for meal service, depending on the number of guests
• Bed linens, towels changed mid-week
• Pool towels changed upon request
Staff | Service on request
• One “Meet and Greet” at the Catalina airport
• Use of the private spa must be requested 24 hours in advance.
• Extra changes of bed linen or towels
• Grocery and newspaper shopping service
• Babysitting service
• Massage upon request
• Laundry and ironing services in the morning
• Nearest private and commercial airport Catania airport 30 minutes drive
• 18 hole Golf Club "Le Saie" Km. 8
• Syracuse 38 km - 40 minutes drive
• Acireale 50 km - 1 hour drive
• Noto 65 km - 1 hour drive
• Mt. Etna 70 km - 1 hour and 20 minutes
• Caltagirone 74 km - 1 hour drive
• Ragusa 90 km - 1 hour and 20 minutes
• Taormina 90 km - 1 hour and 10 minutes drive
• Modica 95 km - 1 hour and 20 minutes
• Piazza Armerina (Villa Romana del Casale) 120 km - 1 hour and 30 minutes
Things to do
• Between May and June, don’t miss the yearly appointment with the classical performances in the Greek Theatre of Siracusa.
• Also of increasing popularity, along with the better known Taormina Film Festival in June, is the International Frontier Film Festival (July) in Marzamemi, an ancient fishing village that has now become one of the newest not-to-be-missed spots in the area, with the largest and southernmost open-air hall in Europe, positioned within the tonnara, a tuna-net maze dating to the period of the Arab domination of Sicily and still perfectly preserved.
• 18 hole Golf Club "Le Saie" 8 km
• The following can also be organised: sailboat and motorboat excursions, sea kayaking, wine tours, cooking lessons, trekking, mountain biking, horse back riding, quad excursions, trips in all terrain vehicles, river trekking, rafting, canyoning.
• Activities for special events: orienteering, historical-archeological treasure hunts, raid adventures, helicopter tours, free climbing.
A neat, comprehensive offer
When you rent any one of our superlative Italian villas, you get the full advantage of our topflight holiday planning expertise.
Tailored to meet most of the demanding traveller’s wishes and expectations, our exclusive holiday planning service offers you four premium benefits.
FIND OUT MORE HERE