The collection of three buildings sits on a crest within the gently rolling Umbrian countryside near Città della Pieve, the hometown of the famous Renaissance painter Perugino and where you can view several of his works. It is also not far from the regional capital of Perugia, home to many cultural treasures and an airport. Southern Tuscany, and its splendid Val d’Orcia, are a short drive away.
Although it looks like a classic country home from the outside, the interiors are a contemporary haven with wide open spaces, large windows and fluid indoor-outdoor living. The visionary owner-designer has created a unique environment in each room thanks to an exceptional use of textiles and colors via exquisite cottons, velvet seats, silk cushions, hand woven rugs and sheer curtains.
The long double living room has relaxing blue seating and large glass doors which lead outdoors. The villa’s eight bedrooms, spread between the main house and two annexes, have a crisp fresh look accented by flashes of colour. The en-suite bathrooms have carefully selected marble basins and large showers. Flea market finds, mid-century designer pieces and contemporary housewares complete its allure.
The outdoor spaces are equally delightful. Next to the villa is a wrap around covered terrace, where you can take most of your meals and admire the breathtaking views from the sitting area. The grounds were entirely reinvented by famous British landscape architect Arne Maynard. A true masterpiece, cypress trees and olive trees flirt with wildflowers and meandering pathways take you from the villa down to the pool area with its shaded pergola.
Whether you’re relaxing by the pool, reading a book in the shade, having a game at the bocce pitch or exploring this enchanting part of Italy, your days at the Villa Frateria will be mesmerizing and unforgettable.
• Stunning gardens created by a landscape architect Arne Maynard
• Gardens feature a fountain, olive trees, cypresses, flowers and local vegetation
• Soaring views over the picturesque rolling hills of Umbria
• Long covered terrace next to the house with dining table and sitting area
• Vine-ladened pergola with sun beds next to the pool
• 20-m long heated pool with mosaic tiles and lovely views
• Pool house with changing rooms, shower and small kitchen
• Bocce pitch for afternoon entertainment
• Chic contemporary furnishings, textiles and home decor items
• Unique and vibrant color palette for each room
• Spacious and bright double living room
• Well equipped kitchen opening towards indoor dining area and with outdoor access
• Three double bedrooms and one twin in Main House
• One double bedroom with en-suite in Studio
• Guest House with two double en-suite bedrooms, one en-suite twin and one extra twin for staff or teenagers
• Flat screen TVs and DVD player
• Heated pool
Staff | Service included
• A/C, pool heating and heating
• Maids clean the entire house (main housekeeper + 1 or 2 maids)
• The main housekeeper prepares breakfast and wonderful light lunches.
• Cook: Dinner is served between 7.30pm and 8.30pm. Once the kitchen has been cleared after dinner, the cook will leave. We suggest that this should be no later than 10-10.30pm.
• All staff will be present to greet clients on arrival and the concierge will introduce them.
• Uniform / Staff Outfits: All staff wear a relaxed uniform with the same colour combination.
• All food to be sourced by villa staff and paid for directly to house manager. Wine can also be sourced by villa manager or client sources directly.
• Closest airport Perugia 50 km - 1 hour drive
• Chiusi 10 km - 15 min drive
• San Casciano dei Bagni 20 km - 30 min drive
• Montepulciano 30 km - 1 hour drive
• Orvieto 40 km - 1 hour drive
• Pienza 40 km - 1 hour drive
• Montalcino 60 km -1 hour drive
• Arezzo 80 km - 1 hour drive
• Siena 105 km -1 hour and 20 min drive
• Florence 130 km - 1 hour and 30 min drive
• Rome 150 km - 2 hour drive
Things to do
• San Casciano dei Bagni - The Etruscan settlement known today as San Casciano dei Bagni owes its existence to the 42 thermal springs with indubitable therapeutic properties: 5km (10 min drive)
• Chiusi – Chiusi’s mysterious origins date back to the 6th century before Christ, when Chiusi was one of the 12 most important cities in the Etruscan Federation. The town itself rises up from its legacy a warren of underground subways, tombs and passages: 22km (30 min drive)
• Orvieto – Orvieto is one of the most beautiful cities of Umbria. The site of Orvieto is among the most dramatic in Europe: 44km (45 min drive)
• Cetona – The medieval town of Cetona is situated at the base of Mount Cetona: 17km (30 min drive)
• Montepulciano is a graceful Tuscan hill town, best known for it’s Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, which was being praised by connoisseurs over 200 years ago and can certainly contend with Italy’s best today. The many churches and handsome palazzo, the steep cobbled alleys and vine-trailing stone bastions are essential viewing for anyone venturing south of Siena. On a clear day from the top of the town you have tremendous panoramic views across the countryside, stretching towards Assisi’s Monte Subasio, Monte Amiata, the Val d’Orcia, Pienza, and even the towers of Siena: 40 km (1 hr drive)
• Pienza - the unfinished “utopian” city, was commissioned by Pope Pius II in 1459. In just three years the cathedral, the papal and bishop’s palaces and the central part of the town were completed, but the extensive project ended abruptly when Pius died only two years after the consecration of the cathedral: 57 km (1 hr drive)
• Montalcino – Montalcino is beautifully situated on a hill inhabited since Etruscan times, swathed in vineyards and olive groves. It is a quiet, affluent, attractive town with pretty buildings and flower-filled squares, and many shops selling the Brunello di Montalcino: 66km (1 hr 15 min drive)
• Florence and Rome can be reached by train in one and a half hours from the nearby station at Chiusi.
• There are Prada, Gucci, Armani, Yves Saint Laurent and Miu Miu outlets on the road towards Florence.
A neat, comprehensive offer
When you rent any one of our superlative Italian villas, you get the full advantage of our topflight holiday planning expertise.
Tailored to meet most of the demanding traveller’s wishes and expectations, our exclusive holiday planning service offers you four premium benefits.
FIND OUT MORE HERE