Santa Maria in Bellaria
The indoor spaces are both soothing and inspiring with painterly views from every window and interiors filled with beautiful art and objects. The owners created living spaces that feel clean and fresh and never overstated. The layout and spatial organization flow gracefully from room to room, interior to exterior, and creates an easy rhythm for life in the country.
The ground level features all living spaces—enormous eat-in kitchen with contemporary Miele appliances, dining room, powder room, library, and a king bed/bath. The double length living room gives onto a large, protected outdoor dining and lounge space as well as the unique enclosed loggia with an indoor hydromassage pool (2 x 6 meter) with seating capacity for 10 people. The water maintains a constant 32C temperature, making Santa Maria in Bellaria a wonderful destination also in the fall and winter months.
To reach the upstairs living quarters, one ascends to the art-filled landing. There await four king bedrooms with ensuite baths. Built-in designer closets and storage spaces, electronic safes for computer and valuables, locally sourced bathroom amenities, custom made Florentine linens and bath accessories all coalesce to create the perfect home away from home.
At the end of an oak-shaded trail, directly behind the villa, one finds the viewing terrace and gardens that highlight the villa’s magnificent position directly across from Monte Amiata, the sacred focal point of the Val d’Orcia. Here lies the outdoor saltwater pool (4 x 15 m.) and the covered pergola furnished with a large table and chairs for dining or for those guests who must reply to pesky work emails. In addition to the sun loungers, a barbeque and a drinks fridge, there is a WC considerately located steps away. From dawn to dusk, this is a most comfortable and convenient area to wile away the hours under the Tuscan sun.
Not to be overlooked, there is covered parking inside this gated property found directly below the pool terrace. Built into this structure lies a full gym with Technogym equipment, an infrared sauna, massage table and a full bath.
The property is staffed with a daily housekeeper, a gardener, and a concierge, all of whom are at your disposition and encharged with making your sojourn as lovely and carefree as possible.
• Saltwater pool 4x15 m (50x13 ft.) with adjacent dining area, long pergola and parasols for shade
• Amply shaded garden and woods with walking trails
• 4 outdoor dining/lounge areas equipped with tables, chairs, and illumination for al fresco entertainment or relaxation
• Covered parking
• 5 king bedrooms with ensuite baths (1 ground level, 4 on 1st floor)
• Custom-crafted closets and cupboards with personal safes
• Double living room with flat screen smart tv and a working fireplace
• Oxygen hydromassage feature (2 x 6m)
• Library/Sitting area with fireplace
• Fully equipped gym with infrared sauna, and full bath
• WIFI and Air Conditioning throughout the house
• WiFi available throughout the villa and the garden
• Gym with infrared sauna, Technogym equipment, and full bath
• Fully stocked wine refrigerator with price list
• Portable Bluetooth speakers located throughout the house and garden.
• Indoor oxygen hydro massage (2 x 6m) with capacity for 8-10 people
• 2 Smart TVs, one in the principal bedroom, one in the living room
• Full security system
• Covered parking for up to four cars near the home entrance
• Custom Florentine bed and bath linens
• Toiletries by Aveda and Erbolario
• 4 bedrooms have electronic safes
• Entire property is fenced
• Gated entrance with full security system
• Electronic guest safes in four bedrooms
Staff | Service included
• Maid on site Monday to Saturday 8-13:00
• Daily Breakfast
• Pre-arrival grocery shopping service
• Mid week towel and linen change
• Gardener once a week
• AC included in the rent
• Laundry service for guests items included
Staff | Service on request
• Maid service on Sunday
• Additional linen and towel service
• Cooking classes
• Massage and spa services
• Wine Tastings at the villa
Good to know
• Santa Maria a Bellaria is a privately owned villa. Guests must know that the pool is not fenced and that there is no life guard. The pool is shallow for security reasons, depth is 1.15m. Guests are responsible for the villa during the rental. Windows and doors must be locked at night and when guests leave the villa.
• Chianciano Terme 7.8km - 10 min drive
• Montepulciano 9km - 12 min drive
• Pienza 18km - 25 min
• Montalcino 35 km - 40 min
• Siena 75km - 1 hour
• Monte Oliveto Maggiore 48km - 55min
• Sant’Anna in Camprena - 45km - 50 m
• Cortona 65 km - 1 hour
• Arezzo 75 km - 55 min
• Siena 90 km - 1 hour
• Florence 130 km - 1 hour and 30 min
• Pisa 216 km - 2 hours and 15 min
• Rome 170 km - 2 hours
• The nearest private and commercial airport is
Perugia Airport 106 km - 1hr and 15 min
Things to do
Pinsent, who had previously done extensive work on Bernard Berenson’s Villa I Tatti in Florence, to restructure the main buildings and create a large garden. The latter was conceived to enhance the Renaissance house, built in 1498 as an inn for the travellers to Rome on the Via Francigena.
• Chianciano Terme is one of the most famous thermal spa destinations in all of Europe, is located right
between the Val d’Orcia and the Valdichiana, perfectly placed to enjoy some of the most renowned, beautiful parts of Tuscany. Chianciano enchants visits both with its historic town centre and its spa area, rich in mineral healing waters.
• The Val d’Orcia is a wide valley south of Siena through which the old Via Francigena (the chief route linking
Rome with the north) used to lead, passing castles and fortified towns, some of them dating back as far as the
eighth century. In San Quirico make sure you see the Horti Leonini, an early Renaissance garden, as well as the
western door in the city wall and the Collegiata (main church).
• Montepulciano is a graceful Tuscan hill town, best known for its Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, which was being praised by connoisseurs over 200 years ago and can certainly contend with Italy’s best today. The many churches and handsome palazzi, the steep cobbled alleys and vine-trailing stone bastions are essential viewing for anyone venturing south of Siena. On a clear day from the top of the town you have tremendous panoramic views across the countryside, stretching towards Assisi’s Monte Subasio, Monte Amiata, the Val d’Orcia, Pienza, and even the towers of Siena.
• Montalcino is beautifully situated on a hill inhabited since Etruscan times, swathed in vineyards and olive groves.
It is a quiet, auent, attractive town with pretty buildings and flower-filled squares, and many shops selling the
Brunello di Montalcino.
• Monte Oliveto Maggiore. This abbey was founded by three Sienese noblemen who left the city to live a life
dedicated to prayer, religion, etc. and who founded the Olivetan order - an off-shoot of the Benedictines. The
most important thing to see at this still active and working Monastery is the cycle of frescoes that decorate the
monumental cloister. They describe the live of Saint Benedict and were painted by Signorelli and Sodoma. There
are also some beautiful marquetry stalls in the church itself. It is a very magical and serene place set in the midst
of exceptionally beautiful countryside. It is home to a dozen monks who specialize in restoring old books, and
make wine, honey and olive oil.
• Sant’Anna in Camprena is a rambling monastery on the road between Pienza and San Quirico d’Orcia. A very
romantic setting which served as location for the film The English Patient. In the refectory there is a fresco by the
renaissance painter Giovanni Antonio Bazzi, known as Il Sodoma.
• Sant’Antimo is surely one of the loveliest Romanesque buildings in all of Italy. It is hard to imagine a more
sympathetic combination of architectural grace and natural setting. Originally founded by Charlemagne in 800, the abbey was once home to a prominent Benedictine community. Creamy stone bricks, luminous Volterran alabaster, playful carvings and frescoes of animals give it a peculiarly sunny air. A group of French Cistercian monks now runs the abbey, celebrating Mass with Gregorian chants several times a day.
• Pienza is a tiny village in the beautiful Val d’Orcia we highly recommend you visit. The village is located about 20 kilometers east of Montalcino and a few kilometers to the west of Montepulciano amidst gentle undulating hills and wonderful natural landscapes. Pienza enjoys a strategic position standing high atop a hill, dominating all the Orcia Valley with extraordinary views. This charming village is widely known as the “ideal city of the Renaissance”.
• Siena is the capital of the province of Siena. The historic centre of Siena has been declared by UNESCO a World Heritage Site. It is one of the nation’s most visited tourist attractions, with over 163,000 international arrivals in 2008. Siena is likely Italy’s loveliest medieval city, and a trip worth making even if you are in Tuscany for just a few days. Siena’s heart is its central piazza known as Il Campo, known worldwide for the famous Palio run here, a horse race run around the piazza two times every summer. Movie audiences worldwide can see Siena and the Palio in the James Bond movie, Quantum of Solace.
• The Val d’Orcia is a wide valley south of Siena through which the old Via Francigena (the chief route linking Rome with the north) used to lead, passing castles and fortified towns, some of them dating back as far as the eighth century. In San Quirico make sure you see the Horti Leonini, an early Renaissance garden, as well as the western door in the city wall and the Collegiata (main church).
• Florence et Rome can be reached by train in one and a half hours from the nearby station Chiusi.
• Fashion addicts can splurge out at the famous Prada factory outlet, which lies on to road to Florence.
A neat, comprehensive offer
When you rent any one of our superlative Italian villas, you get the full advantage of our topflight holiday planning expertise.
Tailored to meet most of the demanding traveller’s wishes and expectations, our exclusive holiday planning service offers you four premium benefits.
FIND OUT MORE HERE