Venice & surroundings
Villa Emo Capodilista
The villa, accomplished in 1568, was designed and decorated by the architect and painter Dario Varotari, a pupil of Veronese. Originally planned as a hunting lodge it was also used as a theatre because of its scenic qualities. Lately it starred as Portia’s house in the 2004 movie version of Shakespeare’s the Merchant of Venice with Al Pacino, Jeremy Irons and Joseph Fiennes. Today the villa belongs to a direct descendant of the family who meticulously restored this gem of Italian Renaissance architecure.
Stone lions guard the tall villa gates, the drive winds up through the vineyards of the owner's renowned wine estate. The wine estate comprises the Villa Emo Capodilista, a medieval castle, further six guest apartments, the cellars and the offices of the vineyard.
The villa is truly unique because of its perfectly square shape with 2 storeys of loggias on all fours sides of the building. 4 rooms on the ground floor and identical 4 rooms on the first floor open up onto the loggias. Each room is decorated with exquisit frescoes. There is for instance the so-called „room of the villas“ which depicts all the villas owned by the family.
Adjacent to the Villa is an 27 hole golf course and and the Michelin star restaurant La Montecchia, dependance to the nearby Michelin 3 star Le Calandre. You will also find a olympic sized pool at the Golf Club.
• The loggias are decorated with marvellous frescoes
• Dining for 16 in one of the loggias on the ground floor
• Upper floor loggia for drinks and lounging all day long
• Formal Italian garden and informal pool area
• Small counter-current swimming pool with acqua massage jets 3 x 6 m.
• Automatically irrigated lawns
• Automatic gate
• Garage for 4 cars
• Adjacent to the 27 hole golf course La Montecchia
• 2 living rooms and 2 bedrooms on the ground floor and identical 4 rooms on the first floor, all giving onto the loggias.
• Each room, as well as the stairs are decorated with exquisit frescoes.
• Traditionally styled castle kitchen in the basement, spacious and well-equipped
• House laundry (washing machine and tumble dryer)
• Finest embroidered bed linen from Apulia
• Wifi, mobile air conditioning, flat screen TV (satellite) and CD Stereo
• Wi-Fi internet throughout
• Washing machine and tumble dryer
• Large oven, microwave, 1 large fridge with freezer and one smaller one
• Ice machine, espresso machine, machine for American coffee, food processor, 1 large toaster, and electric water kettle
• Iron and ironing board
• DVD player
• Satellite TV
• Hair dryers in all bathrooms
• Large safe.
• In the garden, there is an outdoor sitting area with a large sofa, a sail-shaped tent and brazier to warm in the evenings
• Air Conditioning: The two ground floor bedrooms have high-quality mobile air conditioners. The upper floor bedrooms have built in A/C. The smaller bedrooms have high quality mobile A/C
• You will be handed over 3 pairs of keys for the villa.
• Relaxing area and Jacuzzi-pool is open from beginning of June to beginning/mid-September, depending on the weather. The Jacuzzi-pool (3x6m) is situated in a clearing in the grounds of the Villa. It is gated and equipped with sunbeds, hammocks and pool towels.
• A large garage in the basement of the Villa can host up to 2 cars.
Staff | Service included
• Daily continental buffet breakfast service (8.30 am to 10.30 am)
• Daily cleaning in the mornings
• The bedroom and bathroom linens will be changed every Saturday
• The gardener will come to maintain the garden and clean the pool
• A baby cot (for children up to 3 years old) and a high chair are available for free
• The estate produces excellent wines which have won prestigious awards throughout the world. It would be our pleasure to organize a wine tasting and a visit to the estate and rural tools collection.
Staff | Service on request
• Hot breakfast dishes prepared upon request
• First grocery shopping
• Breakfast on the day of departure
• Pool heating
• Central heating
• Extra household help
• Laundry services
• Extra set of towels and/or bathrobes
• Extra set of pool towels
• Extra beds
• Airport transfer
• Cars with drivers
• Well-behaved pets upon approval
• Weddings and receptions
• Nearest private & commercial airport Venice Marco Polo 60 km
• La Montecchia golf club 27 holes 5 minutes on foot
• Abano Terme 5 km - 10 minutes drive
• Padua 14 km - 15 minutes drive
• Vicenza 40 km - 40 minutes drive
• Venice 53 km - 40 minutes drive
• Asolo 65 km - 1 hour drive
• Ferrara 80 km - 1 hour drive
• Verona 85 km - 1 hour drive
• Lake Garda 100 km - 1 hour and 15 minutes drive
• Bologna 120 km - 1 hour and 15 minutes drive
Things to do
• The Venetian Villas: More than 3,000 villas were built in the hinterland of Venice between the 15th and 19th century. Some are open to the public. The most famous are the Palladian villas such as Villa Barbaro at Maser, Villa Emo at Fanzolo and La Rotonda near Vincenza. Do not miss the Villa Valmarana "Ai Nani" with frescoes by Tiepolo, Catajo castle and villa Barbarigo with its baroque garden and a maze of boxwood.
Major cultural centres of northern Italy: The strategic position of La Montecchia make easy visits to Padua, Venice, Vicenza, Verona, Ferrara, Lake Garda, Este, Montagnana, Monselice or Arqua' Petrarca. Each of these provincial towns offers a multitude of rewarding cultural visits.
• In Venice you will have the opportunity to visit any of the 84 churches present in the city, including of course the Basilica of St. Marco, which stands next to the Doge’s Palazzo, one of the main landmarks of Venice. You can also visit the islands, such as Murano, famous for its beautiful hand blown glass.
• 40 km from Venice, you will find Padua . If you had to choose one thing to see, it would be the Cappella degli Scrovegni, a chapel entirely painted with frescoes by Giotto in the 14th century. This is considered the work which marks the beginning of the Renaissance. The main museum of Padua exposes the villa Portia collection, given to the Municipality of Padua by the owners. The Palazzo della Ragione (Palace of Reason), a surprising builing which rises above all the rest of the historical center of Padua exposes another gift made by this family to the municipality, a sumptuous wooden horse.
• At Vicenza you will be dazzled by Palladio’s genius. The beauty of the Olympic Theatre, an embodiment of Andrea Palladio, the Palladian Basilica, another of his masterworks, or the Loggia del Capitano. The small streets of this compact city want to be explored on foot, which will bring an exciting reward at each 20 steps you take.
• The city of Verona contains many treasures: start with the Roman monuments, such as the Roman Arena. Garden lovers will want to visit the Giardino Giusti. The San Zeno church will stay with you for long. Every day the Piazza delle Erbe, a beautiful square in the center of town has a colourful market.
• Asolo is a small town, famous for its lace and silk weaving . It is also resplendent with monuments, such as the remains of an amphitheatre and an aqueduct, the Rocca (castle of the 12th early 13th century), or you can visit the Palazzo della Ragione which has now become the museum of the city. In the last century it was a privileged resort by artists and writers such as Hemingway and Browning and the famous Eleonora Duse.
• The town of Bassano del Grappa is located in the heart of Veneto at the foot of the Alps. The main productions of Bassano are white asparagus, ceramics, and of course grappa. You must see the Cathedral (Duomo), the Castello Superiore (Upper Castle), or the Church of St. John the Baptist.
• The Euganean Hills (protected since 1989) is located south of Padua. There are many small towns to visit such as Este, Montagnana, Monselice and Arqua 'Petrarca. And let yourself be tempted by small local trattorias!
• The thermal baths of Abano: Only 3km from La Montecchia is the town of Abano Terme, a spa where mineral-rich waters emerge at a temperature of 70°C to 80°C. We recommend a day at the spas of one of the luxurious hotels.
A neat, comprehensive offer
When you rent any one of our superlative Italian villas, you get the full advantage of our topflight holiday planning expertise.
Tailored to meet most of the demanding traveller’s wishes and expectations, our exclusive holiday planning service offers you four premium benefits.
FIND OUT MORE HERE